Notes from ‘Making Media’ BBC 2:
How to make a 3 minute film:
- Do background research
- Meet subject of your film and ask lots of questions / get to know your main character
- What is the key story? beginning middle and the end
- Formulate shooting script – one side audio / other side basic video structure
- Write Shooting Script. Make a shot / question list
- Think about composition; frame each shot well.
- Tripod to hold the camera steady / lock off the shot.
- Film different shots
- face close up
- hands close up
- extra shot
- over the shoulder,
- Use different angles, high angle? low angle?
- Hold each shot for at least 10 seconds
How to shoot a music video:
- Listen to the track – get to know the track
- Come up with visual ideas
- -Most music videos are shot in just one day-
- Find a good location.
- Film whole song in close up AND then wide shot.
- Panning is a nice touch
- Track using a wheelchair – smooth shot.
- Arms length filming – used for rap / grime
- ‘Lock off a shot’
How to conduct an interview:
- Prepare questions in advance
- Ask open ended questions
- Know what you want to get out of the interview
- Pay attention to the interviewee
- Eye contact and really listen
- Try not to fidget
- Don’t speak over the interviewee
- Hold the mic close to the person
- find a quiet place
- pause the interview for a moment if there is too much noise
How to edit a film trailer:
- Most conform to certain conventions (think about these conventions)
- Edit your best shots together
- Use captions to tell your story or voice over! – try title flies to make them more dynamic!
- Choose appropriate music for the genre
- SFX for added effect
- Special effects on pictures – easy one is the fade to black to create emotion.
- Try slow motion
How to edit a film:
- Go through all the rushes (log them – write down the time code)
- Cut all of your best shots together – to find them easily
- logging – write down what an interviewee says. noting anything important/ strong.
- re-arrange the information in the best way possible, structure it on paper.
- Edit the interview clips first, according to what you planned
- less is more: The first edit is always to long, you will need to cut certain bits out.
- Find the visual images which will work best with the words said in the interview.
How to build a website:
- What is the concept?
- Define your audience and keep them in mind
- Check out he competition
- Think of the name & check the domain is available
- Gather together your content
- Decide what your pages are
- Choose colour pallet and Fonts.
- Choose a blogging site. – choose a template then customise it
- Link the new site facebook or twitter