- 1995 shot in France.
- 4 characters living in Paris, dealing with everyday racism.
- Imagery used in intro – how it sets up the story:
- The earth being hit by a Meteor – fire
- Car on fire – Police man – Cage – Protests/March -Adding security to their vehicles
- Police . smoke – Riots – Robbing / Looting –
- News Archive footage makes audiences feel connected and it seems real.
- Realist Style.
Realist films try to connect with the commonalities of everyday life.
Eastenders: Phill and Grant Fight:
- One of the most viewed episodes of the decade.
- How do you keep up momentum? Cliffhangers? New Characters? Bring back old Characters?
- Simple shots
- Hand Held for emotional impact – immediacy.
- We know the subtext
- No diogetic music.
- non linear
- lul-you into a false sense of security
- Camera stays absolutely still
- Great script – means you don’t need fancy camera work.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- -Trapped in a hut
- -Surrounded by 50 men
- – I thought we were in trouble then
- – We know they are going to die but maybe some miracle happened
- -An open ending.. we know the reality of the situation is that they are going to die.
- -Maintain a sense of realism without the happy ending
- Anti-realist film
- Magical Realism film
- A bit like pans labyrinth